- 1-2 lb beets, washed and trimmed
- 1-2 lb green beans, trimmed and washed
- 3-4 oz soft sheep’s milk or goat cheese
- 2 cups pecans, toasted
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- mixed fresh herbs, if desired
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup reduced balsamic vinegar (see note)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º. Wrap the beets in foil and roast until desired tenderness is reached (crisp-tender is recommend). Check doneness with a fork.
- Blanch the green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for about two minutes. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking.
- When beets are desired doneness, rinse under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel and cut into chunks. Note: beets will stain, so wear gloves if that concerns you.
- Toss beets and green beans with 2/3 of the toasted pecans, minced garlic, fresh herbs, olive oil, and salt/pepper to taste. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and top with remaining pecans and crumbled cheese.
Note: You can purchase or make reduced balsamic. To make at home, simmer 1 cup of balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup.