- 2-3 lb of assorted tomatoes (cherry or full-sized), trimmed and cubed (or halved for cherry tomatoes)
- 1 mild onion, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf of ciabatta or similar crusty bread (tip: save up stale bread and heels in the freezer!), cubed and tossed with a bit of olive oil and salt, then toasted in the oven until very golden brown and crispy
- 1 cucumber, trimmed, seeded, and sliced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp good wine vinegar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, lightly salt the tomatoes and allow them to rest while you slice the rest of the vegetables.
- Drain the tomatoes. Toss in the rest of the sliced veggies, basil leaves, olive oil, and vinegar. Check for seasoning (salt) and add more salt to taste if desired. Add a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Toss in the bread cubes and stir to coat. Serve at room temperature.
Note: This dish is served best when it has a little time to marinate and soften the bread a bit. Make it a little ahead of time, but don’t worry about needing to chill it.
Second note: The base salad is just tomatoes, onions, bread, basil, and vinaigrette. You can add other ingredients that you like such as peaches, garlic, parsley, olives, etc. to change it up.