- Assorted summer/fall vegetables (recommended: beans, peppers, sweet potatoes, green tomatoes or tomatillos, okra, onion)
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour per 1 lb of veggies
- 12 oz (1 can) of seltzer per 1.5 cups of flour
- About 6 cups of vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 tsp salt per cup of flour
Ingredients for dips/toppings
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp honey
- Sesame oil
- Fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Lemongrass, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 clove fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- Chopped fresh chilis, optional
- 3 Tbsp matcha powder
- Sea salt
- Marinara sauce of choice
- Fresh parsley
- Parmesan cheese
- Wash vegetables and pat dry. Remove stems and seeds if necessary. Thinly slice. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and seltzer water. Stir gently to make a batter. Take care to not over mix, you want the bubbles from the seltzer!
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pan (dutch oven would be great) to 350º-375º.
- Dip veggies in the batter to coat, then fry until crispy and golden, gently stirring if necessary. If you have more than one batch, set aside on a rack set over paper towels to drain without getting soggy.
Dip 1 – combine soy, honey sesame oil, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and chilis. Gently warm, then allow to steep until serving time.
Dip 2 – combine matcha power with fine sea salt to taste and use as a dry dip or sprinkled garnish.
Dip 3 – grind fresh parsley, parmesan cheese, and 1 clove fresh garlic into a sprinkling mix. Toss tempura vegetables with mixture and serve with marinara for dipping.